- 1 package (6 ounces) crushed corn bread stuffing mix
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- In a large bowl, prepare the corn bread stuffing according to package directions. Add eggs, mushrooms and garlic powder. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a loaf in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours; drain. Top with chilies. Cover and bake 20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Sprinkle with cheese and top with salsa. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Firemen's Meat Loaf in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p38
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Firemen's Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 30, 2013
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2012
"This meatloaf is a favorite of mine and it makes an awesome sandwich. The chilies really set it apart from other recipes."