- 1 package (6 ounces) crushed corn bread stuffing mix
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- In a large bowl, prepare the corn bread stuffing according to package directions. Add eggs, mushrooms and garlic powder. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a loaf in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours; drain. Top with chilies. Cover and bake 20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Sprinkle with cheese and top with salsa. Bake, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Firemen's Meat Loaf in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p38
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Firemen's Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 30, 2013
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2012
"This meatloaf is a favorite of mine and it makes an awesome sandwich. The chilies really set it apart from other recipes."