As one of the cooks at the firehouse, I used to prepare meals for 10 men. This chili was among their favorites.—Richard Clements, San Dimas, California
11 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and green pepper over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until flavors are blended.
- Yield: 11 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups (prepared with lean ground beef and reduced-sodium broth) equals 485 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 45 g protein.