Firehouse Chili Recipe
- 4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until flavors are blended. Yield: 11 servings.
1-1/2 cups (prepared with lean ground beef and reduced-sodium broth) equals 485 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 45 g protein.
Reviews for Firehouse Chili
"Great chili. I did make some changes because of on hand ingredients or tastes of the family. I cut the recipe in half, used fire roasted diced tomatoes, can of mild green chilies, 1 can kidney beans and 1 can pinto beans, a packet of beef broth w/o water, a pinch of red pepper flakes and a splash of Worchestershire. The original recipe is a good basic chili with opportunity to make additions or subtractions; it worked for me. Turned out deliciously. We were pleased. Thanks for a great bowl of chili."
"Best tasting chili ever"
"Good recipes. Easy to make and perfect blend of flavors. I use diced tomatoes with green chilies instead of stewed tomatoes. My son loved it. Definitely I will make this again."
"Made it for the first time last night & it was gone quick! I halved it as there are only four of us, but will definitely make the full batch next time. Had to add some salt & added some shredded cheddar, per kids' request. Loved by a picky adult, 10, & 5 yr olds."
"Really good! This is a great full-flavored chili. If you want more heat, just add 1/4-1/2 tsp. ground cayenne. I also add salt to taste and a dash of worcestershire sauce. This is the only from-scratch chili I make."
"Awesome recipe! Leftovers freeze nicely too!"
"Yummy! The only Chili recipe I use now!"
"Great tasting, hot & spicy, saves well, easy to make. I usually only use 3 lb ground sirloin so nothing to drain."