As one of the cooks at the firehouse, I used to prepare meals for 10 men. This chili was among their favorites.—Richard Clements, San Dimas, California
- 4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until flavors are blended. Yield: 11 servings.
Originally published as Firehouse Chili in Taste of Home February/March 2005, p59
Reviews for Firehouse Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review