Firecracker Roll-Up Cakes Recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- LEMON FILLING:
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Red and blue paste or gel food coloring
- 8 large red, white and blue gumdrops
- 5 pieces uncooked spaghetti
- 1. Place egg whites in small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar. Beat in extract. Sift flour and baking powder together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- 3. In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. For filling, in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and peel until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a metal spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 6. Unroll cake; spread filling over cake to within 1/2 inch of edges. Roll the cake up again. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- 7. Using a serrated knife, cut cake roll into one 5-1/2-inch-long piece and one 3-3/4-inch-long piece. Trim off uncut ends of each cake roll. With a cut end down, place each cake roll on a serving plate.
- 8. For frosting, beat cream cheese in a small bowl until smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar, lemon extract and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency.
- 9. Tint 1/3 cup of frosting red and 1/4 cup blue. Frost sides of the large firecracker white. Frost the small firecracker red, white and blue, creating a striped pattern.
- 10. Flatten the gumdrops with a rolling pin. Using a 1-inch star cookie cutter, cut eight gumdrop stars. Arrange three stars on side of the large firecracker, press them gently into the frosting.
- 11. Insert one end of each spaghetti piece into a remaining gumdrop star. Break off the opposite end of each piece to create different lengths. Insert spaghetti into tops of the firecrackers. Yield: 8 servings.
Finished size: Excluding the gumdrop star decorations, large cake is about 3 inches wide x 5-1/2 inches high and small cake is about 3 inches wide x 3-3/4 inches high.
1 slice: 426 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 183mg cholesterol, 174mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (64g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.