These no-fuss treats are so much fun to make with kids, and they put a spark in Fourth of July parties. You can tint the whipped topping red and blue to make the frosting festive, too. —Erin Glass, White Hall, Maryland
24 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 pieces red pull-and-peel licorice
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 1 cup flaked coconut, divided
- 4 drops blue food coloring
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 24 cupcakes of your choice
- Assorted red and blue sprinkles, optional
- Cut each licorice twist into five pieces; pull apart one end of each
- to make firecracker fuses. Set aside.
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine 1/4 teaspoon water and red food
- coloring; add 1/2 cup coconut. Seal bag and shake to tint coconut.
- In another bag, combine 1/4 teaspoon water and blue food coloring;
- add remaining coconut. Seal bag and shake to tint.
- Spread whipped topping over cupcakes; decorate with coconut or
- sprinkles as desired. Insert firecraker fuses into tops. Refrigerate
- until serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cupcake equals 202 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.