- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, chili powder, cumin and salt.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange tortillas over the top. Combine soup and tomatoes; pour over tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Firecracker Casserole
"Very good! I didn't have black beans so used white beans and still excellent. I agree with one other reviewer that it did not hold together well, but flavor was still great!"
"Good recipe. I used corn tortillas. I put one layer of tortillas on the bottom before adding everything else. I didn't have soup, so I used some enchilada sauce. This was spicy, but very good."
"Decided to try this since I needed a quick dinner and had all the ingredients on hand...was not disappointed at all! I only used 1 lb ground beef and a 9x9 dish, which meant only 2 tortillas were necessary to cover the bottom layer. (I even used crunchy old tortillas way past their prime and they turned out great!)"
"The taste was good, but the meat and beans had nothing to hold it together. It looked like crumbs, it was hard to pick up with fork."
"Amazingly good !! I did up the cheese to 2 cups of Mexican mix shredded and maybe next time will add black olives and green onions on top for garnish and flavor. The tortillas inside seemed to be an "after thought"---kinda gooey. (But it might have been the extra cheese I covered them with--ha). We will definitely be adding this to our "Mexican Night " !! My daughter used it as a filling in extra tortillas."
"This was delicious! I will diffenatly make this again !!"
"Thank you for reminding me of this recipe! The one downfall of TOH over the years is that I'd make a recipe we loved but never made it again because another issue of TOH arrived & we loved many more recipes! I didn't change a thing about this recipe, & our family of eight enjoyed it. Will make it again very soon!"
"I used meat substitute (Morningstar Farms) and this was great."
"My friends and I really liked this, we left the beans out and added more cheese"