- removing from the pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar.
- Add enough lemon juice to achieve desired consistency. Place 2/3 cup
- frosting each in two small bowls; tint one red and one blue. Place
- 1/3 cup frosting in another bowl; tint yellow. Leave the remaining
- frosting white.
- Using a serrated knife, level off the top of each cake. Place one
- cake on a 10-in. round serving platter. Frost top of cake with white
- frosting; top with second cake. Spread top and sides with remaining
- white frosting.
- Place each of the tinted frosting in pastry or plastic bags. Insert
- star tip #21. Alternating colors and using a rope pattern, pipe 12
- firecrackers around side of cake. Pipe a yellow star on top of cake
- about each firecracker.
- Place the cream-filled sponge cake centered on top of the cake.
- Alternating red and blue frosting, pipe diagonal stripes across the
- cream-filled sponge cake. Pipe a large yellow star above sponge
- cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 732 calories, 27 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 206 mg cholesterol, 407 mg sodium, 119 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.