Fire-Roasted Tomato Salsa Recipe
- 2 pounds tomatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips
- 1. Grill tomatoes and jalapeno, covered, over medium-hot heat for 8-12 minutes or until skins are blistered and blackened, turning occasionally. Immediately place in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- 2. Peel off and discard charred skins. Discard stem and seeds from jalapeno; cut tomatoes into fourths. Set jalapeno and tomatoes aside.
- 3. Place the cilantro, onions and garlic in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Add the chipotle pepper, tomatoes and jalapeno; cover and pulse until blended.
- 4. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the chilies, lime juice, oil and salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with chips. Yield: 4 cups.
1/4 cup (calculated without chips) equals 25 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 76 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.