Fire Island Ziti Recipe
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces ziti or small tube pasta
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1. Toss the tomatoes with 2 tablespoons oil, garlic and salt. Place cut side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Chop when cool enough to handle.
- 2. Cook ziti according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 4 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage in remaining oil until no longer pink. Add pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes and heat through.
- 3. Drain ziti mixture; toss with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/2 cups pasta with about 1 tablespoon cheese equals 477 calories, 25 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 1,122 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.