Fire Island Ziti for Two Recipe
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces uncooked ziti
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1. Toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon oil, garlic and salt. Place cut side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Chop when cool enough to handle.
- 2. Cook ziti according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 4 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage in remaining oil until no longer pink. Add pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes and heat through.
- 3. Drain ziti mixture; toss with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 581 calories, 30 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,339 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.