- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces ziti or small tube pasta
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese
- Toss the tomatoes with 2 tablespoons oil, garlic and salt. Place cut side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Chop when cool enough to handle.
- Cook ziti according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 4 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage in remaining oil until no longer pink. Add pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes and heat through.
- Drain ziti mixture; toss with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Fire Island Ziti
"Surprisingly bland considering it Italian sausage, garlic and crushed red pepper in it. No one in my family cared for it."
"My hubby and son LOVE this, and its so easy to make! When I'm pressed for time, I substitute canned fire roasted tomatoes for the fresh and add a little extra garlic. Not quite as good as the fresh ones, but in a pinch it works wonderfully!"
"Easy to make and delicious!"
"I loved this. It had just the right flavors. My boyfriend added a little marinara on his, but I didn't think it needed it."
"delicious. I added extra garlic and some sriracha sauce for a little extra fire. delicious!"