Fire and Ice Tomatoes Recipe
- 5 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes and onion; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, water, mustard seed and cayenne. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute.
- 2. Pour over tomatoes and onion; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Add cucumber; toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 72 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 11 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.