VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, parsley, rosemary, salt, sage, thyme and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with additional melted butter. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Finnish Wheat Rolls in Best of Country Breads 2000, p72