Finnish Meat Pie Recipe
We enjoy this hearty, traditional meat pie year-round, but it's especially appreciated during hunting season. This is one recipe I'll be sure to pass on to our seven children. Laurel Skoog, Frazee, Minnesota
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups shredded peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled rutabaga
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine water and salt; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in shortening until melted. Add flour; stir until a soft ball forms. Cover and refrigerate until cooled, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll one portion of dough to fit the bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Line ungreased dish with pastry.
- In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients. Spoon into crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of dish. Place over filling; press edges with a fork to seal. Cut slits in top. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Finnish Meat Pie in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p259
Reviews for Finnish Meat Pie(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 28, 2009
Yum! I used 1 pound hamburger and it turned out fine. It's very dense and high in carbs, of course, but delicious!