My husband and I have eaten this simple-to-make bread for years. It's so nice to have homemade bread with spaghetti, and it's even nicer when you don't have to fuss. Anne Heinonen, Howell, Michigan
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and
- baking soda. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse
- crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead for 3-5 minutes. Pat onto an
- ungreased 12-in. pizza pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until
- golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 203 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 482 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.