My husband and I have eaten this simple-to-make bread for years. It's so nice to have homemade bread with spaghetti, and it's even nicer when you don't have to fuss. — Anne Heinonen, Howell, Michigan
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead for 3-5 minutes. Pat onto an ungreased 12-in. pizza pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Finnish Flat Bread in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p31
Reviews for Finnish Flatbread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 5, 2013
"We really enjoyed theses. They are very similar to a biscut. They are also super easy to make."
Reviewed Mar. 28, 2013
"We really enjoyed this flatbread. It made a very nice side to fried chicken and veggies!"