“After my Finnish grandmother passed away, I found a large index card in a box of her trinkets. I had the writing translated, and it turned out to be this festive casserole.” —Judy Batson, Tampa, Florida
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups cubed day-old rye bread
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flat beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place bread in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; bake at 300°
- for 15-20 minutes or until crisp. In a large skillet, saute
- cauliflower in butter with the caraway seeds until tender. Remove
- from the heat; stir in bread and cheese. Transfer to a greased
- 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, beer, mustard, coriander and pepper.
- Pour over bread mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until
- a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 261 calories, 18 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 158 mg cholesterol, 387 mg sodium,