“After my Finnish grandmother passed away, I found a large index card in a box of her trinkets. I had the writing translated, and it turned out to be this festive casserole.” —Judy Batson, Tampa, Florida
- 2 cups cubed day-old rye bread
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flat beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place bread in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; bake at 300° for 15-20 minutes or until crisp. In a large skillet, saute cauliflower in butter with the caraway seeds until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in bread and cheese. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, beer, mustard, coriander and pepper. Pour over bread mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Finnish Cauliflower in Taste of Home December/January 2011, p109
Reviews for Finnish Cauliflower
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review