- 2 cups cubed day-old rye bread
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flat beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place bread in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; bake at 300° for 15-20 minutes or until crisp. In a large skillet, saute cauliflower in butter with the caraway seeds until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in bread and cheese. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, beer, mustard, coriander and pepper. Pour over bread mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Finnish Cauliflower
Sort By :
I really enjoyed this dish. it's light , but has a lot of interesting flavors. certainly making this again in the future!
every one loves this recipe I have requests for it after every potluck I take it to.
This is a tasty comfort food that is easy for non-cauliflower lovers to eat, and it is a good use for old bread. On the other hand, it is not as flavorful as I expected; perhaps more spices would bump it up a little. But still, it's worth making again when I need a filling side dish with a bit of veggie nutrition tucked inside.
I used light butter and cheese and 4 egg whites and one whole egg. A self-proclaimed cauliflower hater was the one who polished it off!
Have made this recipe several times and it is one of my favorites!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cauliflower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Salad Recipes >
- Easter Side Dishes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Salads >
- Low Carb Side Dishes >
- Salads >
- Side Dish Recipes >