- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Gradually add 1-1/4 cups flour. Knead in remaining flour. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 in. thickness. Cut with a 1-1/2 to 2-in. cookie cutter; place on ungreased baking sheets. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over cutouts. Sprinkle with sugar and almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Finnish Butter Cookies
"I tried this recipe... the dough was too dry and crumbly after adding only 1/2 cup of flour. I eventually got it mixed in and formed a ball. When I took it out of the refrigerator it was solid as a rock! I might try them again, and see if I was just having an off baking day."
"not very good."
"I am not sure what went wrong but my dough was incredibly crumbly. Bummer because they smell so good."
"This recipe is delicious. I will be sure to make them for Christmas and probably before. I think they would be good with coffee and ice cream."