Filets with Mushroom Sauce
I serve this dish to company because it's simple to make, but looks as if I spent hours in the kitchen.—Carolyn Brinkmeyer, Aurora, Colorado
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-9
- minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for
- medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium,
- 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter
- until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, water, basil, bouillon and
- pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir over medium heat for 5
- minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 278 calories, 14 g fat (0 saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 299 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable,