VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 3/4 cup fresh oyster mushrooms
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4-1/2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and shallot in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Add brandy; cook over medium heat until liquid is evaporated.
- Add broth and cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in salt.
- Meanwhile, grill steaks, covered, over medium heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Serve with sauce. Yield: 4 servings (2 cups cream sauce).
Originally published as Filets with Mushroom & Brandy Cream Sauce in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p101