Filet Mignon with Red Wine Sauce Recipe
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/4 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks (4 to 6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and oregano; cook and stir 1 minute. Add tomato paste; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Gradually whisk in wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until reduced by half. Strain sauce and return to pan. Gradually stir in remaining butter until melted. Add 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- 3. Sprinkle steaks with remaining salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Cover and let stand for 3-5 minutes. Serve with wine sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 steak with 2 tablespoons sauce equals 296 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 331 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Reviews for Filet Mignon with Red Wine Sauce
"I have shared with several family members. All of them have enjoyed this recipe!"
"I made it with red wine and that was all I could taste, next time I will try with the beef broth."
"Just an excellent meal! We served it with a Baby Spinach and Shrimp Salad! Very Delicious!Jcradd"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.