Filet Mignon with Red Wine Sauce Recipe
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/4 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks (4 to 6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and oregano; cook and stir 1 minute. Add tomato paste; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Gradually whisk in wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until reduced by half. Strain sauce and return to pan. Gradually stir in remaining butter until melted. Add 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- 3. Sprinkle steaks with remaining salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Cover and let stand for 3-5 minutes. Serve with wine sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 steak with 2 tablespoons sauce equals 296 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 331 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Reviews for Filet Mignon with Red Wine Sauce
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.