Filet Mignon in Puff Pastry Recipe
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 slices Muenster cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Place steaks on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with pepper; top with butter. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Cool slightly; refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry into a 14-in. x 9-1/2-in. rectangle. Cut out two 7-in. squares, reserving scraps.
- Rub steaks with garlic and top with cheese; place steaks cheese side down in the center of each pastry square. Lightly brush pastry edges with egg. Bring opposite corners of pastry over steaks; pinch seams to seal tightly. Place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Cut small slits in top of pastry; brush with egg.
- Using lightly floured small cookie cutters, cut out shapes from reserved pastry. Arrange over wrapped steaks; brush shapes with egg.
- Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with steaks. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Filet Mignon in Puff Pastry in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p36
Reviews for Filet Mignon in Puff Pastry
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review