Hazelnuts, or filberts, are by far the most important nut crop grown commercially in the Pacific Northwest.—Hollis Mattson, Puyallup, Washington
18 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy;. Beat
- in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and cardamom; add to creamed
- mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in chopped nuts. Place 2 in. apart on
- greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until
- lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 124 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.