- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 10 ounces dried figs, quartered
- 2 cups white wine
- 3/4 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 6 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground pork
- 3/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 6 hard rolls, split
- 2 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- In a large saucepan, bring red wine and onion to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In another large saucepan, bring figs and white wine to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until figs are plumped and tender. Cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until blended. Stir in walnuts.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, sage, salt, pepper and red wine mixture. Crumble pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Top with Gorgonzola cheese; cover and grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Grill rolls, cut side down, on medium heat for 30-60 seconds or until toasted. Spread each roll with 1 tablespoon fig mixture; top with a burger and arugula. (Save remaining fig mixture for another use.) Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Fig-a-licious Pork Burgers(1)
Sort By :
The fig mixture was good, but overpowering. There were yummy wine-soaked onions inside the burgers and gorgonzola on top, and we couldn't taste any of it over the fig spread. We ate the leftovers without the fig spread and the family loved it. So I think we will make them again without the figs. I love the idea of boiling onions in wine and then mixing it with the meat!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- BBQ Pork Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Burger Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Dinners >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Grilled Pork Recipes >
- Grilling Hamburgers >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- July 4th Dinner >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Main Dishes >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Memorial Day Dinners >
- Memorial Day Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >