Fiesta-Twisted Brunswick Stew Recipe
- 1/2 pound uncooked chorizo or Johnsonville® Hot Italian Ground Sausage
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 jar (26 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Shredded Asiago cheese
- 1. Crumble chorizo into a small skillet; cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until fully cooked. Drain. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add the potato, onion, green pepper, jalapenos, tomatoes, marinara sauce, corn, Cajun seasoning, garlic, sugar, pepper and salt.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour and broth until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Add the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken and vegetables are tender, adding green beans and cilantro during the last 2 hours of cooking.
- 3. Remove chicken from slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to slow cooker; heat through. Sprinkle servings with cheese. Yield: 9 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without cheese) equals 358 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 1,188 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.