- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey or rotisserie chicken
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup medium salsa
- 5 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Additional salsa, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, spread tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° 4-6 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
Stir cilantro into soup. Top servings with tortilla strips. If desired, serve with additional salsa.
Freeze Option: Reserving tortillas for later, freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Meanwhile, bake tortillas as directed and sprinkle over each serving. Serve with additional salsa if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Fiesta Turkey Tortilla Soup
"Very easy soup to throw together, and it received a thumbs up from everyone. I would think it would be better the next day, but I had no leftovers! Definitely worth a try."
"Been making a version of this soup for years. I add a can of Ro-tel or diced tomatoes and 1/2 c. rice plus some chopped onion, garlic ,cumin, chili powder and a dash of oregano to spice it up. It's quick and delicious!"
"Very easy fast and easy. Tastes great."
"Made some small additions, such as a tsp of cumin and thickened with masa flour otherwise all the same fast and simple ingredients. As a bonus our T-Day turkey had been smoked so it was bonus in the flavor department. Definite keeper in the recipe box."
"This was really quick and easy. I used shredded chicken breasts and it was delicious."