Fiesta Tamales Recipe
- 4-3/4 cups masa harina
- 2-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 2 envelopes Goya sazon with coriander and annatto
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 48 dried corn husks
- CHICKEN FILLING:
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- VEGETABLE FILLING:
- 1-1/2 cups sliced ripe olives
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) pepper Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the masa harina, broth, salsa, oil, corn, onions, Sazón seasoning and salt; beat until well blended. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Place corn husks in a large bowl; cover with cold water and soak for at least 2 hours.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; add the chipotle pepper, garlic, oregano and cumin; saute 1 minute longer. Add chicken and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- 4. For vegetable tamales, drain corn husks and pat dry. Place a corn husk on a work surface with the small end pointing away from you. Place 1/4 cup dough over half of husk closest to you, spreading dough to within 1 in. of edges. Sprinkle olives and cheeses down the center.
- 5. Lifting one long side, fold husk over filling so that edges meet, enclosing filling in husk. Fold ends of husk over tamale; tie with corn husk strips. Repeat 11 times. For chicken tamales, use 1/4 cup dough on each corn husk and 1/4 cup chicken mixture. Repeat 11 times, folding and tying each tamale.
- 6. Line a large steamer basket with four corn husks. Place basket in a Dutch oven over 1 in. of water; position half of the tamales upright in basket.
- 7. Cover tamales with four corn husks. Bring to a boil; cover and steam in batches for 50-60 minutes or until dough peels away from husk, adding hot water to pan as needed and replacing corn husks in pan. Remove husks before eating. Yield: 2 dozen.
2 meatless tamales equals 571 calories, 37 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1,227 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 19 g protein. 2 chicken tamales equals 525 calories, 25 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 889 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Reviews for Fiesta Tamales
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.