- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups hearts of romaine salad mix
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 32 blue tortilla chips
- In a large skillet, cook beef and jalapeno over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in water and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in beans.
- Divide romaine among four serving plates. Top with beef mixture, tomatoes, green pepper, onions, olives and cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, salsa and milk. Drizzle over salads. Arrange tortilla chips around edges. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Fiesta Taco Salads
"I made the following very simple changes and it was absolutely delicious:1. I substituted 1/2 can (small) of Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce because I had no jalapeno peppers on hand. I cooked them right into the ground beef per the instructions and used the back of the wooden spoon to really emulsify them into the meat to enhance the flavor of the meat;2. I coarsely chopped 3 large whole garden-fresh tomatoes instead of using the grape tomatoes because (A) I had them on hand; and (B) it was very quick.I think this would be equally good by adding some avocado and/or fried or grilled corn into the mix.The entire recipe took less than 30 minutes from browning frozen ground beef to plating. Very simply and excellent, especially with the heat of the peppers. I think that this would be a great idea for a gathering with friends because you could easily leave out the lettuce and turn this into a deluxe nacho dish by plating up a big dish of blue corn chips and then layering the meat and bean mixture and going from there. Even squeeze a bit of lime juice to top it all off!"
"Delicious and easy!"
"Great salad. Portions are just right."
"Quick easy summertime meal, my family loved it I added avacado and left out the olives to suit my familys preference."
"Delicious...and looks pretty too!"