Fiesta Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Here’s a simple soup with plenty of taste and just a little heat. Loaded with Sweet potatoes, black beans and sausage, it tastes even better the next day—if you have any left.—Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
- 1 package (9 ounces) fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Sour cream and thinly sliced green onions
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the sausage, sweet potatoes, onion and pepper in oil until onion is tender. Add cumin; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in cilantro.
- 2. Garnish servings with sour cream and green onions. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without garnishes) equals 247 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 1,036 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC