Fiesta Smothered Chicken Recipe
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 6 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the mushrooms, onion and jalapeno in 2 teaspoons butter until tender. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. In the same skillet, cook chicken in remaining butter over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Spoon vegetable mixture over each chicken breast; sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (prepared with reduced-fat butter and reduced-fat cheddar cheese) equals 314 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 118 mg cholesterol, 488 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Reviews for Fiesta Smothered Chicken
"Family proclaimed a keeper! Very flavorful. My chicken breasts were a bit thick so cook time was a bit longer."
"I have a family of 5 so I doubled this recipe. Normally we don't like breast meat at all to dry when cooked. But this was nice and moist. I will try it with dark meat and write a review when I do. Since I doubled the recipe I marinated longer than the recipe called for."
"I prepared this dish tonight and let me tell you that this is a winner. Both my husband and myself loved every bite. The only thing I did differently was used canned mushrooms instead of fresh. We will be having this again and again. Here is a link to my review and photos: http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/29/p/894055/7744482.aspx#7744482"
"This recipe has made it into our regular rotation. I make it with 8 chicken breasts, and only 2 tsp of jalapenos. I use canned mushrooms because I usually have those on hand. I also saute bell pepper with the mushrooms and onions. I use monterey jack in place of the pepper jack because it melts so smoothly and there are already jalapenos in the recipe. The leftovers (if there are any) are delicious in chicken tacos or quesadillas."
"My husband & I absolutely loved it! This has become one of my new favorites. We like alot of veggies so I added more of each of them & we let the chicken soak about an hour before cooking. TOTALLY DELISH!!"
"I haven't tried this recipe yet but I am going to. I also would not like the jalapeno's but I will substitue green bell pepper and use all cheddar cheese."
"It was a little too much on the spicy side for my family, but everyone agreed it was a good dish. I personally liked it a lot. I would definitely make it again."
"My husband didn't like the jalapeno's. I will not leave them out, just use less of them. Loved it."
"Fiesta smothered chicken is a very good recipe. The only thing I'd change would be the jalapenos, as some of my family is allergic to them. I do like them though, just won't put them in this recipe as I won't make my family sick."
"Use reduced fat cheeses to mnlower,caloriemcount"
"This was delicious with canned mushrooms. Also, I marinated chicken breasts for 4 hours in bottled Italian Salad dressing. My husband raved over this dish."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.