Fiesta Side Salad Recipe
“Perfect for a buffet, picnic or potluck, this colorful side can be served at room temperature," says Michelle Chicoine of Missoula, Montana. "You’ll want to make extra because the flavors only get better the second day!” TASTY TIP Toasting whole cumin seeds and then grinding them adds extra flavor to this salad. If you don’t have whole cumin seeds, substitute 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin—don’t toast.
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the corn, beans, onions and jalapenos. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients; shake well.
- 2. Stir rice into corn mixture. Add dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
2/3 cup equals 206 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC