“I was making a Mexican themed dinner one night last summer, and figured I’d make a salad with the fresh produce I had. I threw in anything that reminded me of Mexican food. Thankfully, it turned out, and the combination of salsa and ranch dressing is one we now use on sandwiches burgers and more, “ writes Heather Byers from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 cups torn romaine
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup torn curly endive
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat ranch salad dressing
- In a salad bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small
- bowl, combine the salsa, sour cream and ranch dressing. Drizzle over
- salad and toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 100 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 235 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.