- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2/3 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 12 to 14 sandwich rolls, split
- Cut the roast in half; pierce several times with a fork.
- In a large bowl, combine the next eight ingredients. Pour half of marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown roast in oil on all sides. Place the onion, roast and reserved marinade in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce heat to low; cook 6-8 hours longer or until the meat is tender. Remove roast; shred or thinly slice. Discard the bay leaf. Skim fat from cooking juices and serve pork on rolls with juices as a dipping sauce. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Fiesta Pork Sandwiches in Country Extra July 1999, p49
Reviews for Fiesta Pork Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 2, 2013
"this was far too acidic for me."