Fiesta Pork Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2/3 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 12 to 14 sandwich rolls, split
- Cut the roast in half; pierce several times with a fork.
- In a large bowl, combine the next eight ingredients. Pour half of marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown roast in oil on all sides. Place the onion, roast and reserved marinade in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce heat to low; cook 6-8 hours longer or until the meat is tender. Remove roast; shred or thinly slice. Discard the bay leaf. Skim fat from cooking juices and serve pork on rolls with juices as a dipping sauce. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Fiesta Pork Sandwiches in Country Extra July 1999, p49
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Fiesta Pork Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 2, 2013
this was far too acidic for me.