When time is short, Sandra Castillo relies on this family-pleasing main dish. "It's so easy to fix, and everyone loves the zesty flavor that the salsa and chili beans provide," comments the Sun Prairie, Wisconsin cook.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 10 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
- skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Drain macaroni; set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine salsa and cheese. Microwave,
- uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Stir
- into the skillet; add the macaroni and beans. Transfer to a greased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated
- through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 473 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 878 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.