- 1 round loaf (1 pound) sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 4 ounces sliced Colby cheese
- 1 small sweet red pepper, sliced
- 4 ounces sliced Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons ranch salad dressing
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 4 ounces sliced cheddar cheese
- Cut the top fourth off loaf of bread. Carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaf, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Set top aside.
- Spread refried beans inside bottom of shell. Layer with the Colby cheese, red pepper, Monterey Jack cheese, chilies, olives and tomato. Gently press layers together to flatten as needed.
- Combine cheese blend and ranch dressing; spoon over tomato. Top with avocado and cheddar cheese. Replace bread top and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Fiesta Loaf in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p95
Reviews for Fiesta Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 23, 2010
"This impressive sandwich was the hit of last year's Super Bowl festivities, so guess what I'm fixing this year. Only I am going to make two!"