Fiesta Corn and Beans
Bursting with Southwestern flavors, the zesty veggie medley here can be served as a side dish or a meatless meal-in-one. The dollop of yogurt is a cool, creamy finishing touch.
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: plain yogurt and sliced ripe olives
- In a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add
- garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir
- in the beans, corn, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Serve
- with yogurt and olives if desired.
- Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup (calculated without optional toppings) equals 149 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 380 mg sodium,