Fiesta Corn and Beans Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Optional toppings: plain yogurt and sliced ripe olives
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the beans, corn, tomatoes and seasonings.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Serve with yogurt and olives if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup (calculated without optional ingredients): 149 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.