Fiesta Chicken Chowder Recipe
I entered the recipe for this hearty soup in a contest sponsored by my hometown newspaper. I won first place and contributed the prize money to the area shelter for women and children.—Beth Jenkins-Horsley, Belmont, North Carolina
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope fajita seasoning, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 cup uncooked Minute® Brown Rice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (11 ounces) condensed nacho cheese soup, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning; add chicken. Seal bag and shake to coat. In a large saucepan, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same pan, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, beans, tomatoes, corn, rice, chilies and remaining fajita seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 3. Stir in the soup, cilantro, lime juice and chicken; heat through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup equals 250 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 952 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC