Looking for some heat with supper but still want a cool kitchen? Try these slow cooked burritos with a spicy touch the whole family will love! This is a simple recipe to double if you're catering to a crowd. And for those who prefer a spicier dish, add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. —Margaret Latta, Paducah, Kentucky
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes
- Place chicken in a greased 4-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the corn, beans, tomatoes, jalapeno and seasonings; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker. Stir in cream cheese. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Spoon 3/4 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; add toppings of your choice. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.
Freeze option: Omit toppings. Individually wrap cooled burritos in paper towels and foil; freeze in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, remove foil; place paper towel-wrapped burrito on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through, turning once. Let stand 20 seconds. If desired, add toppings. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fiesta Chicken Burritos in Simple & Delicious July/August 2009, p33
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Fiesta Chicken Burritos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review