"Chili powder and picante sauce add just the right dash of zip to this hearty main dish," notes Teresa Peterson of Kasson, Minnesota. "It's a snap to assemble since it uses convenience foods."
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup picante sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the soups, tomatoes, picante sauce, green pepper, onion and chili powder. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the tortilla strips, chicken, soup mixture and cheese. Repeat layers.
Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until bubbly.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Fiesta Chicken in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p34
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Fiesta Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review