Fiesta Bean Casserole
Karen Tjelmeland of Ely, Iowa, writes, “I don’t recall its origin, but I have had this recipe for many years.” A Triscuit cracker crust makes it a unique meatless option.
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 Triscuits or other crackers
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons beaten Eggland's Best Egg
- Sour cream and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the beans, onion, green chilies and cumin.
- Place eight crackers in an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan coated with
- cooking spray. Top with half of the bean mixture; layer with
- remaining crackers and bean mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, mayonnaise and egg; pour over
- cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a
- thermometer reads 160°. Serve with sour cream and olives if
- desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece (prepared with reduced-fat cheddar cheese and reduced-fat mayonnaise; calculated without sour cream and olives) equals 561 calories, 31 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 113 mg cholesterol, 1,103 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 25 g protein.