Karen Tjelmeland of Ely, Iowa, writes, “I don’t recall its origin, but I have had this recipe for many years.” A Triscuit cracker crust makes it a unique meatless option.
- 3/4 cup kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 Triscuits or other crackers
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- Sour cream and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the beans, onion, green chilies and cumin. Place eight crackers in an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Top with half of the bean mixture; layer with remaining crackers and bean mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, mayonnaise and egg; pour over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve with sour cream and olives if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Fiesta Bean Casserole in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p33
Reviews for Fiesta Bean Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 9, 2012
"I ended up making this in an 8x8 dish with just one layer. It is a little bland for my taste but chives added a little more flavor. Next time I'll use garlic, chives, and maybe throw on some chopped tomatoes before serving."