I love Southwest-inspired cuisine, but the dishes are often unhealthy. As a dietitian, I try to come up with nutritious twists on recipes, which is how my stuffed chili dish was born. —Amber Massey, Coppell, Texas
- 8 poblano peppers
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Broil peppers 3 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, coarsely mash beans; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir zucchini and onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the corn, tomatoes, rice, seasonings and beans. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Set aside.
- Peel off and discard charred skins from poblanos. Cut a lengthwise slit down each pepper, leaving the stem intact; remove membranes and seeds. Fill each pepper with 2/3 cup filling.
- Place peppers in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until heated through, sprinkling with green onions and remaining cheese during last 5 minutes of baking. Garnish with sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fiery Stuffed Poblanos in Healthy Cooking April/May 2011, p33
Reviews for Fiery Stuffed Poblanos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review