Fiddlehead Shrimp Salad
Fiddleheads are your, tightly curled fronds from bracken, ostrich and cinnamon ferns that sprout in moist fields and open wooded areas. Each spring, fiddleheads are prepared in dozens of waysfrom soups to cakes at the Fiddlehead Festival in my home state.Wilma Johnson, Thorndike, Maine
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 cups fiddlehead ferns
- 1 cup cooked shell macaroni
- 1/2 cup diced unpeeled apple
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced cooked shrimp
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook ferns in a small amount of water until tender. Drain. Toss with
- all remaining ingredients. Chill. Yield: 4 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.