- 6 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups garden-style pasta sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute green pepper and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the pasta sauce, black beans and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drain fettuccine. Top with sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Fettuccine with Black Bean Sauce
"This was an awesome twist during our weekly meals. My family loves pasta, but with this black bean sauce it has just enough flavor and tastes great! I could easily see putting some type of meat with this recipe too!"
"My family loves the "chunkiness" of this sauce. Tonight I added ground beef and substituted diced zucchini squash for the green pepper. It made a very hearty meal for four teenagers!"
"My mom used to do this when we were kids. Just putting a drained can of black beans into spaghetti sauce instead of ground beef really mixes things up - and it's pretty good!"