Fettuccine with Asparagus and Peas Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 6 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1. Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute leeks in oil for 1 minute. Add asparagus and garlic; saute until asparagus is crisp-tender. Stir in the peas, salt and pepper.
- 2. Drain fettuccine, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Place ricotta cheese in a small bowl; whisk in reserved cooking liquid. Whisk in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, lemon juice and peel. Add to the skillet; heat through.
- 3. Add fettuccine; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 250 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 363 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.