Feta Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 3 large green peppers
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; invert onto paper towels.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomatoes, spinach, orzo, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- 3. Spoon into peppers. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- 4. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is softened. Yield: 3 servings.
2 stuffed pepper halves equals 369 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 567 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.