One of my favorite meals when I was younger was a recipe my mother made called Quick Chili Rice Casserole. I put a Greek spin on it and stuffed it in a pepper. It works great paired with a garden salad and fresh bread. —Sacha Morgan, Woodstock, Georgia
- 3 large green peppers
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; invert onto paper towels.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomatoes, spinach, orzo, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Spoon into peppers. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is softened. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Feta Stuffed Peppers in Healthy Cooking June/July 2012, p56
Reviews for Feta Stuffed Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review