Feta-Cranberry Lentil Salad Recipe
An unusual combination of ingredients gives this salad its flavor. Sweet-tart cranberries are mixed with a tang of feta cheese to make it surprisingly tasty. —Alison Halasz, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the lentils, water and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain and discard bay leaves. Rinse lentils in cold water.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the lentils, cranberries, walnuts, feta cheese and parsley. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Pour over lentil mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 435 calories, 22 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 1,026 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 17 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC